LOOK: Luka Garza transforms body ahead of NBA Combine - 247Sports

Former Iowa center and national player of the year Luka Garza has been putting in some major work ahead of the 2021 NBA Draft. The 6-foot-11 versatile big man was the nation's most dominant player over his final two years of his college career, but that hasn't stopped critics from picking apart his game and debating if his game will translate to the NBA. 

On Saturday afternoon, Garza posted a photo to Instagram, which shows the type of transformation and rigorous training that he's done ahead of the NBA combine. According to his father, Frank, Luka has lost 22 pounds and is in the best shape of his life. Below is an embedded picture from Luka's Instagram. 

Garza is the first and only student-athlete in Big Ten history to accumulate 2,000 points, 900 rebounds, 150 blocked shots, and 100 3-pointers. One of only three players in the nation to shoot at least 52 percent on FGAs and 42 percent on three-point, with at least 40 made 3-pointers; Garza has attempted more than 100 field goal attempts than the other two players (Corey Kispert & Matthew Hurt).

The 6-foot-11 senior averaged 24.1 points, 8.7 rebounds per game and shot 55.3% from the field on the season. He led the nation in total points (747); player efficiency rating (35.84); 30-point games (8); field goals made (281); and 20-point games (22). Garza ranked fifth nationally in free throw attempts (199), eighth in free throw makes (141), and 11th in double-doubles (13). His 747 points bested his previous school single-season record of 740 points set last season.

After solidifying himself as the greatest player in Iowa history, Garza is looking forward to continuing to prove doubters wrong. 

"Honestly, it's something that I'm kind of getting used to, I've grown kind of used to over my career," Garza explained during an appearance on Keyshawn, J-Will, and Zubin show on ESPN. "It's just happened at every level — when I was in high school, no one really saw, thought that I was going to be able to transition to the high-major level. And everyone talks about my athleticism, my quickness, my lateral movement, and all stuff like that. And obviously, those talks have continued now that I'm going to the NBA. But I'm definitely going in with a chip on my shoulder. But I'm thankful for that, just provides me even more motivation to go in the offseason and work. And I'm always a very motivated guy. So the added motivation, I'm very thankful for. So I'm thankful for all the doubters and all the people who don't think I'll make it. And hopefully, I can prove them wrong."

Get 30% off of a Premium VIP Access subscription to HawkeyeInsider! Take advantage now and be the first to know everything going on regarding Iowa football, basketball, and recruiting! Plus, interact with other passionate Hawkeye fans! Click Here!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

In-form Cassius Winston powers Bayern to fifth BBL win - Eurohoops